(1.3) Day 5: PIE/Paragraph Structure
Lesson Objectives:
Objectives: Students will be able to...
- Describe the 3 parts of PIE structure based on the lecture/discussion.
- In an EAP essay, be able to identify and label the sentences serving each function of PIE.
- Reverse the diagnostic essay into an outline, labeling each part as point, subpoint, illustration, explanation, transition, topic sentence...or whatever the function of that sentence is.
- Based on the outline form of the diagnostic, draw conclusions about the effectiveness of the current organizational pattern by making notes about which parts are there and which are not there.
- Devise a plan for revision based on the analysis of the identified gap between the criteria for developed PIE given in class and the actual PIE in the initial diagnostic draft
Warm-Up: Vocabulary Share (1-3 min) 3:30-3:35
Student presents word(s)
Part I: PIE Lecture/Review (10 min) 3:35-3:45
lecture materials on this topic can be found within the following: PIE PPT
Part II: PIE Worksheet (20-30 min) 3:45-3:4:05
Today we are going to look at an academic essay and analyze it in terms of the PIE structure. Please click on the following worksheet labeled:
PIE WORKSHEET
I will have you work individually or in pairs to complete the tasks. Then, we will go over answers as a class.
Part III: Student Paragraph Analysis (15 min) 4:05-4:20
I will have you work in small groups to analyze your own writing. Then, I will show you some revisions to the paragraphed based on the PIE modal. Click on Student Paragraph Analysis to access the document.
Time permitting....
Part IV: Review of PIE structure (5 min)
Take quiz on PIE. :) Go over, review examples on the PIE PPT.
Part V: Start on Homework (25 min) 4:25-4:50
To end today's class we are going to get started on completing our final writing assignment for this unit. Please click on the homework assignment for Unit 1 and follow along as I explain the directions.I will be giving you this time to get started on your project, please use your time effectively. I will be circulating for assistance.
Lesson Materials:
PIE PPT
PIE WORKSHEET (key)
PIE Quiz (needs to be printed)
Student Paragraph Analysis
HOMEWORK: You have homework due for the next class. Click under unit one to access the directions.
Supplemental
BASIC PIE PPT
PARAGRAPH PATTERNS PPT
PIE WORKSHEET C
PIE WORKSHEET
I will have you work individually or in pairs to complete the tasks. Then, we will go over answers as a class.
Part III: Student Paragraph Analysis (15 min) 4:05-4:20
I will have you work in small groups to analyze your own writing. Then, I will show you some revisions to the paragraphed based on the PIE modal. Click on Student Paragraph Analysis to access the document.
Time permitting....
Part IV: Review of PIE structure (5 min)
Take quiz on PIE. :) Go over, review examples on the PIE PPT.
To end today's class we are going to get started on completing our final writing assignment for this unit. Please click on the homework assignment for Unit 1 and follow along as I explain the directions.I will be giving you this time to get started on your project, please use your time effectively. I will be circulating for assistance.
Lesson Materials:
PIE PPT
PIE WORKSHEET (key)
PIE Quiz (needs to be printed)
Student Paragraph Analysis
HOMEWORK: You have homework due for the next class. Click under unit one to access the directions.
Supplemental
BASIC PIE PPT
PARAGRAPH PATTERNS PPT
PIE WORKSHEET C
No comments:
Post a Comment