Monday, March 17, 2014

Avoiding Plagiarism III: Integrating Source/Citation Styles

Students will be able to...

-understand the basic parts needed in proper quotation/paraphrasing (review)
-to identify their own citation style according to their field and understand where to go for assistance
-understand the distinction between author prominent citations and information prominent citations.

Part I: Vocabulary Share 1-3 minutes
Student briefly shares vocabulary with class


Part II: Vocabulary Review (5-10 min) 2:00-2:10
Complete MATCHING. On the back page of your quiz is a simple matching activity. I will have you work individually and then again check your answers with a partner. This is a quick activity to make sure everyone understands the basic terms we are using in this unit. 


Part II: Review Quiz-- Paraphrasing/Quotation  (15-20 min)  2:10-2:25
Complete QUIZ (will photocopy) individually and check answers with pairs
Will go over answers as a class. Time permitting, we will also look to a QUOTATION HANDOUT that deals with APA examples.


Part III: Finding your Citation Style (25-30 min)  2:25-2:50
I will hold a brief lecture on citation and why they matters for academics and for their upcoming assignments. Then I will distribute a handout that should help you to self-identify which citation style you use for your field. I will give you 5-10 minutes to read the handout, look at the sample journals from your field (You can use the one from unit 2) and try to identify which style is yours. I will also introduce some resources students can use to help them with citation formatting.

Identification: Complete CITATION STYLES in pairs/small groups
Workshop: Complete CITATION RESOURCES in pairs (I will put you in pairs)

I will then give you around 15 minutes to locate additional references for your style and provide in-text examples of quoting and paraphrasing that show proper format. Be prepared to share your answers with the group. I will be circulation for assistance.

Teacher Note: change the name of their links to the citation style they have so students can use it for future reference

Part IV: Practice Paraphrasing/Quoting/Bibliography (20 min)
Click on the handout PRACTICE WITH CITATIONS and follow the directions


Time Permitting
Part V: Author Prominent vs. Information Prominent (30 min) 2:50-3:20
Where do I put the citation within the sentence?
Lecture and Worksheet INFORMATION PROMINENT vs. AUTHOR PROMINENT CITATIONS


Lesson Materials:
QUIZ+ MATCHING
QUOTATION HANDOUT
CITATION STYLES: WHAT'S YOUR STYLE?



No comments:

Post a Comment